Assistant Planner/Permit Technician
Salary Range – $4,812-$6,089
The first review deadline is Monday, June 14th. The position will stay open until filled. Applicants are encouraged to turn in completed materials as soon as possible.
Do you have a passion for public service and a desire to make a positive impact on the community you serve? Do you want to be part of a high-performance organization committed to exceptional customer service?
Normandy Park is looking for an assistant planner/permit technician for the Community Development Department. The position will be fifty percent Assistant Planner with responsibility for professional-level urban planning work, and fifty percent Permit Technician with responsibility for administrative and technical work to manage the city’s permit process for the application, review, and issuance of permits.
This is a beginning to early-career level position. The successful candidate will: bring traditional planning and planning technician experience or non-traditional experience (demonstrating equivalent experience); contribute to workplace diversity; and provide an intentional focus on delivering exceptional customer service to our community, its customers and stakeholders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Subject matter expert in and project manager for the various permit application, receiving and routing, processing and review, and issuance functions
- Ensures consistency and coordination between the various professional reviewers and their requirements before project approval
- Responds to and manages information requests regarding land use processes, building, zoning, and environmental review
- Provides support to the Community Development Director for Planning Commission and the Economic Development Committee by preparing agendas and meeting minutes
- Advises staff on public policy issues, planning procedures, and regulatory ordinances
- Develops and prepares correspondence and reports
- Practices continuous quality improvement for internal procedures, operations, and data compilation and maintenance
- Assists in the preparation of census materials, coordination of planning efforts with other jurisdictions, and grant program implementation
- Reads and interprets construction plans to determine compliance with requirements, and calculates and verifies permit valuations, fees, and invoices
- Works semi-independently in a rapidly-paced, multiple-task work environment
- Effectively interacts with all customers both external and internal and practices active listening to defuse tense or conflict-oriented situations
- Operates a personal or desktop computer, tablet, and mobile phone using software suites such as MS Office 365, Adobe Acrobat, ArcMap, and other application-based software including web publishing software. Excel experience is a plus
Bachelor’s degree in urban planning or a related field; or any combination of education and experience which would provide the desired abilities, knowledge and skills required to perform the job including relevant coursework in business, construction management, public administration or related field AND a minimum of one year’s permit technician experience or equivalent experience in local government administration.
Resumes must be accompanied by a cover letter and Normandy Park employment application. The first review deadline is Monday, June 14th. The position will stay open until filled. Applicants are encouraged to turn in completed materials as soon as possible. Please email or mail application packets to Brooks Wall, City Clerk email: firstname.lastname@example.org; City of Normandy Park – 801 SW 174th Street, Normandy Park, WA 98136