The City of Normandy Park’s Permit Center is remotely open to serve those functions that are consistent with Governor Jay Inslee’s “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” order.  Staff is complying with the order by working from home and responding to questions via email between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. each day. 

Inspections will be performed for those functions that are consistent with the governor’s “Safe Start Washington” order. To request an inspection please call (206) 248-5525. 

Online Resources for Permits
Questions and permit applications may be submitted via email at

In accordance with Governor Inslee’s “Safe Start Washington” order, the Permit Center is currently accepting applications for all projects via email, mail, or by appointment only as City Hall is currently closed to the public.

For Land Use questions, please email Holly Keeton at

In lieu of an online payment system, the City will accept payments via mail or City Hall dropbox.

The Permit Center is open Monday – Friday from 8:30am – Noon and 1:00 – 4:00pm. All application submittals and payment must be made in person. Submittal appointments are required for all non-over the counter permits. To make an appointment, please call or email the permit center at (206) 248-8260 or To request an inspection, call (206) 248-5525. Same day inspection requests must be made before 7:00am.

Building Permits

Building Services is responsible for plan review and inspection of new buildings, additions, and remodels.  The City of Normandy Park as adopted the following construction codes and standards:

  • 2015 International Building Code (IBC) – WAC 51-50
  • 2015 International Residential Code (IRC) – WAC 51-51
  • 2015 International Mechanical Code (IMC) – WAC 51-52
  • 2015 NFPA 54, National Fuel Gas Code (NFGC) – WAC 51-52
  • 2015 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC) – WAC 51-52
  • 2015 International Fire Code (IFC) – WAC 51-54A
  • 2015 Uniform Plumbing Code & Standards (UPC) – WAC 51-56
  • 2015 Washington State Energy Code (WSEC) – WAC 51-11(C&R)
  • Normandy Park Electrical Code (WCEC) – NPMC 14.10.140

Adult Family Home Checklist

Building Permit Application

Building Permit Submittal Checklist

Building Permit Revision Application

Demolition Permit Application

Demolition Permit Submittal Checklist 

Electrical Permit Application

Fire Hydrant Availability Form

Fire Sprinkler and Alarm Permit Application

Mechanical/Gas Piping Permit Application

Plumbing Application

Residential Energy Code Compliance Form

Residential Oil Tank Decommissioning Permit Application

Small Commercial and Tenant Improvement Application Checklist

Water Availability Form

Land Use & Planning

Community Development is responsible for the review of Land Use action applications, Fill & Grade applications, Sign permits, Conditional Use Exceptions, Temporary Use, and Variances.

Affidavit of Posting

City Street Vacation Application

Comprehensive Plan Amendment Application

Conditional Use Permit 

Critical Areas Reasonable Use Exception Application

Environmental Checklist (SEPA)

Exemption-Shoreline Substantial Development Permit 

Flood Damage Prevention Single Family Residence Submittal Checklist 

Flood Plain Development Permit Application

Formal Subdivision Application

Home Occupation Application

Home Occupation Type II Permit Application 

Informal Subdivision Application

Joint Aquatic Resources Permit Application (JARPA)

Lot Line Adjustment Application

Master Land Use Application 

Mixed Use Development Application

Pre-Application Conference Application

Shoreline Substantial Development Application

Sign Permit Application

Temporary Use Permit Application

Temporary Use Permit Submittal Checklist

Zoning Variance Application

Other Permit Applications and Forms

Appointment Request Forms

Certification and Transfer of Applicant Status

City Right-of-Way Franchise Application

City Right-of-Way Permit Application

City Small Cell Franchise Application

Community Development Department Information Request Form

Small Site Drainage Manual

Drainage Plan Submittal Checklist

Land Clearing, Grading, or Filling Permit Application 

Permit Fees

Permit Fees are based on the current year’s fee schedule. The City of Normandy Park will increase fees on January 1st of each year with inflation.

2020 Fee Schedule

Permit Logs

Permit logs are updated weekly. If you would like specific information on any project or address, please submit a Public Records Request.

Permit Logs

Public Records Request Form


How long are permits valid?

Building Permits are valid for 2 years from the date of issuance. Please contact the Permit Center to check your expiration date for Land Use or Planning Permits.

How is the Gross Floor Area Ratio (GFAR) of my property calculated?

GFAR is calculated based on the sum of the floor areas of all floors of the principal use building(s) and all accessory buildings divided by the total area of the zoning lot.

In residential zones, floor area includes the floor area within accessory buildings and excludes:

  • the floor area within breezeways;
  • uninhabitable attic space;
  • basements that do not daylight; and
  • up to 600 square feet of garage space.

In the NC and MU zones, floor area excludes:

  • floor area devoted to parking;
  • elevators, staircases, escalotrs, and mechanical spaces;
  • exterior decks, porches, and arcades open to the air; and
  • floor area devoted to public amenities.
What are the required front, rear, and side yard setbacks for my property?

Setbacks in residential zones are as follows:

Front Yard = 20ft

Back Yard = 25ft

Side Yard = 5ft

Side Yard when adjacent to street or public Right-of-Way = 20ft

Are short term/vacation rentals allowed?

No, residential rentals in Normandy Park must have a six-month lease at minimum. Per NPMC18.32.033, “The guest house shall not, in any instance, be used for rental purposes or be sold as a primary residence.”

Please see code sections below for more detail or contact the Permit Center:

  • NPMC18.02.200 defines “Transient” as,

Transient means an individual residing in a dwelling unit in conjunction with other members of the household for an indefinite period of time less than six months and who pays the other household member(s) rent or other valuable consideration in order to reside at the location. Any individual residing in a dwelling unit for less than six months and in all events on less than a month-to-month basis shall be considered a transient. Guests and exchange students complying with NPMC 18.32.021 shall not be considered to be transients”

  • NPMC18.08.080 defines “Household” as,

“Household” means one or more persons related by blood, marriage, or adoption, or not more than three unrelated persons, living together within a single dwelling unit. For the purposes of this definition, children with familial status within the meaning of 42 U.S.C. 3602(k) and individuals with disabilities within the meaning of 42 U.S.C. 3602(h) shall not be counted as unrelated persons. The following inclusions and exclusions shall apply:

(1) “Adult family homes” as defined by RCW 70.128.010 are included within the definition of “household.”

(2) The term “household” shall exclude individuals or groups residing in halfway houses, crisis residential centers as defined in RCW 74.15.020(3)(g), group homes licensed for juvenile offenders or other facilities, whether or not licensed by the state, when the individual or group residing therein is incarcerated or otherwise required to reside at the facility pursuant to a court order under the supervision of paid staff and personnel.

(3) A qualifying “household” shall not include transients.

(4) In the event the referenced state or federal law is amended, such amendment shall control.

  • NPMC18.32.020(1) states,

“The primary permitted uses of the R-20, R-15, R-12.5 and R-72 zones are: 

Single-family residence buildings to be occupied by one household each;…”

How do I renew or extend my permit?

Submit a written request and pay additional fees once the request has been approved by the Building

Do I need a permit to build a shed?

A permit is not required if the shed is under 200sf.