Permits & Inspections
New Procedure for ROW Applications
Effective September 5, 2023, all Right-of-Way (ROW) use permit applications will only be accepted through the SmartGov online Permit Portal. “Paper” permit applications received via email will no longer be accepted. SmartGov’s online permitting provides a streamlined and effective process for application intake, completeness check, payment, and issuance.
We’ll be happy to answer questions and troubleshoot technical issues. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (206) 248-8260.
Normandy Park accepts building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical inspection requests* all the time, for inspection scheduling on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (subject to availability and holidays). Please be aware of that when you request an inspection.
Effective June 26, 2023, all building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical permit inspection requests for the City of Normandy Park will only be accepted when emailed to email@example.com.
*Same-day requests will not be accepted. Next scheduled day inspection requests must be made before 3:00 p.m.
Permit applicants using the city’s SmartGov process can continue to request inspections online*.
Schedule inspections by logging into the Online Permit Center and following the steps below:
Step 1. Log into the Online Permit Account
Step 2. Click on ‘My Inspections’
Step 3. Request your inspection by selecting your application, inspection type, date, time slot and any comments.
*Same-day requests will not be accepted. Next scheduled day inspection requests must be made before 3:00 pm.
New Partnership for Big Four plan review and inspection:
Normandy Park is excited to announce that effective June 14 we began a new partnership with BHC Consultants to provide complete building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical permit review and inspections; and building official services for our residents, businesses, customers, clients, and stakeholders. This will be a seamless transition from our previous partners as applicants will continue to submit applications and request inspections through the same existing paths, whether for In-House permits at firstname.lastname@example.org or for SmartGov applications through our online permitting system.
Submitting Permit Applications
- Apply online through the Normandy Park Permit Portal
- Only pay once when submitting a permit application online through the permit portal. Multiple payments generate duplicate charges on your account.
- If this is your first time applying for an electronic permit, you’ll need to make a new portal account. Visit the Permit Portal (above) and Sign Up to create your account.
- Once you have an account, visit the Permit Portal, go to My Portal, and then Apply Online to start your application.
- FAQ help: smartgovfaq
- Questions? Send an email to email@example.com with SmartGov Question in the subject line.
- Over-the-Counter (OTC*) Permit Applications:
- In Person: OTC permit applications are accepted at the permit counter on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30 a.m.-noon & 1:00-4:30 p.m.
- Electronically: Email the permit application and all applicable supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*An Over the Counter (OTC) permit does not require plan review. OTC permits are issued 1-2 business days from application, and after invoice payment.
- Paper Permit Applications:
- Email your permit application and all applicable supporting documents to email@example.com for processing.
- Once received, staff will do a completeness check for the submitted application.
- After the application has been deemed complete, you will receive an invoice for the fees due via email and staff will schedule a time with you to submit hard copies of your application documents at City Hall.
- Please see Public Assistance Memo 003 and Public Assistance Memo 004 for more in-depth directions regarding how to submit permit applications and revisions or corrections.
Please contact the permit desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 248-8260.
Permit Applications and Submittal Checklists
Building Services is responsible for plan review and inspection of new buildings, additions, and remodels. The City of Normandy Park has adopted the following construction codes and standards:
- 2018 International Building Code (IBC) – WAC 51-50
- 2018 International Residential Code (IRC) – WAC 51-51
- 2018 International Mechanical Code (IMC) – WAC 51-52
- 2018 NFPA 54, National Fuel Gas Code (NFGC) – WAC 51-52
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC) – WAC 51-52
- 2018 International Fire Code (IFC) – WAC 51-54A
- 2018 Uniform Plumbing Code & Standards (UPC) – WAC 51-56
- 2018 Washington State Energy Code (WSEC) – WAC 51-11(C&R)
- Normandy Park Electrical Code (WCEC) – NPMC 14.10.140
Land Use and Building Permit Applications & Submittal Checklists
Submittal Checklists & Guides
- Adult Family Home Inspection Checklist
- Building Permit Application Submittal Checklist
- Small Commercial and Tenant Improvement Application Checklist
- Fire Sprinkler & Alarm Permit Application Submittal Checklist
- Solar Panel Permitting Checklist
- Environmental Checklist (SEPA)
- Flood Damage Prevention Single Family Residence Submittal Checklist
- Land Clearing, Grading, or Filling Project Checklist
- Residential Deck & Porch Guide
- Small Site Drainage Manual
Building Permit Applications
Planning and Zoning Permit Applications
- Affidavit of Posting
- City Street Vacation Application
- Conditional Use Permit
- Critical Areas Reasonable Use Exception Application
- Exemption-Shoreline Substantial Development Permit
- Flood Plain Development Permit Application
- Formal Subdivision Application
- Home Occupation Type II Permit Application
- Informal Subdivision Application
- Joint Aquatic Resources Permit Application (JARPA)
- Lot Line Adjustment Application
- Master Land Use Application
- Minor Use Activities – Critical Areas NPMC 18.36
- Mixed Use Development Application
- Shoreline Substantial Development Application
- Zoning Variance Application
Other Permit Applications and Forms
- Pre-Application Conference Application
- Flow Hydrant Access Review (FHA) Form
- Residential Energy Code Compliance Form
- Water Availability Form
- Certification and Transfer of Applicant Status Form
- Temporary Use Permit Application
- Comprehensive Plan Amendment Application
- Bond Quantity Estimate Worksheet
- Small Project Drainage Plan Submittal Application
Public Assistance Memos (PAMs)
- PAM #001: Detached Accessory Structures And Guest Houses
- PAM #002: Right-of-Way Use
- PAM #003: Submitting Permit Applications
- PAM #004: Submitting Permit Application Revisions or Corrections
- PAM #005: Extending, Renewing, or Reestablishing a Permit
- PAM #006: Short-Term Rentals
- PAM #007: Tree Removal
- PAM #008: Temporary Signs
- PAM #009: Do I Need A Permit?
- PAM #010: Solar Photo-Voltaic Installations
- PAM #011: Fences
Nicholas Matz, AICP
Community Development Director
Assistant Planner-Permit Technician
Permit Center Hours:
Open Tuesdays & Thursdays: 8:30am- Noon & 1:00-4:30pm, or by appointment.
Call (206) 248-8260 or Email
Permit Fees have changed. Click ‘2023 Fee schedule’ in green box on the left side to view changes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a Normandy Park Business License (NPBL)?
For contractors working in Normandy Park for the first time, or Homeowners acting as your own contractor, a NPBL is required for applying to permits. Engaging in the activities of a contractor who is ‘installing, constructing or supervising installation of, real or personal property’ meets the requirements set forth by NPMC 4.02.025 (3)(f).
You can apply for a city business license through the Washington State Department of Revenue. Once applied and paid for, please submit a copy of the confirmation/receipt of this transaction to email@example.com.
Do I need a Pre-Application Conference?
A pre-application conference offers applicants guidance in preparing a development proposal for submittal. Pre-application meetings acquaint applicants with the substantive and procedural requirements of the Normandy Park Municipal Code and applicable elements of the Comprehensive Plan. Submit applications via SmartGov.
The discussion at the conference and information given provides technical and design assistance to the applicant, and to otherwise identify policies and regulations associated with the proposed development.
What am I paying for?
You will pay for an application and for the city’s contracted consultant cost to review that application. This latter cost is passed through to applicants as part of the review process. Planning and Building Services 1) charge fees for applications and 2) bill for contract consultant review. This charging and billing authority resides within the NPMC (14.05.330 Use of consultants and 14.05.375 Fees) and within the adopted 2023 Fee Schedule.
The city relies extensively on contracted consultant review to meet its regulatory obligations. These bills (as set by our professional services agreements with these consultants), and special studies conducted by a contracted consultant and required by code, are billed at cost to the applicant. This includes costs for plan review, civil engineering, environmentally critical disciplines, the hearing examiner, and other professional consultant services incurred by the city in the review, processing or monitoring of zoning or land use and zoning permit applications and projects as well as bonds and maintenance requirements.
There are additional charges outlined in the Fee Schedule for revisions, appeals, and specialized items including research requests not part of an application, pre-application meetings, code interpretation, bonds and maintenance agreements, sign permits, temporary uses, certain variances to Title 18, right-of-way permits, and processes when not part of an application permit such as drainage review and environmental review.
How do I pay for a permit?
Normandy Park’s Online Permitting System acts as an all-in-one system. For customers submitting applications online, follow the steps below to submit payment:
Step 1: Log into the Online Permit Account
Step 2: Click on ‘Pay Online’
Step 3: Your payment will be processed and your permit will be processed and issued within 1-2 business days. If you have any questions, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “SmartGov Question” in the subject line.
Customers submitting in-house paper permit applications, an invoice will be sent to your email 1-2 business days after submission. Payment options are listed below:
- Payment may be submitted in person at City Hall Monday through Friday from 8:30am – noon & 1:00-4:00pm. Credit card, checks, and cash are accepted.
- Checks may also be dropped in the City Hall mail slot outside of business hours. Please include the permit number on the check.
- Mail a check to City Hall – 801 SW 174th Normandy Park, WA 98166. Please include the permit number on the check.