Permit Center Hours:
Tuesday & Thursday: 8:30 am – noon & 1:00-4:30 pm or by appointment only.
Permit fees have changed. Click “2022 Fee Schedule” in the green box on the left side of your screen to view the changes.
Submitting Permit Applications
- Apply online through the Normandy Park Permit Portal
- If this is your first time applying for an electronic permit, you’ll need to make a new portal account. Visit the Permit Portal (above) and Sign Up to create your account.
- Once you have an account, visit the Permit Portal, go to My Portal, and then Apply Online to start your application.
- FAQ help: smartgovfaq
- Questions? Send an email to email@example.com with SmartGov Question in the subject line.
- Over-the-Counter (OTC*) Permit Applications:
- In Person: OTC permit applications are accepted at the permit counter on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30 a.m.-noon & 1:00-4:30 p.m.
- Electronically: Email the permit application and all applicable supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*An Over the Counter (OTC) permit does not require plan review. OTC permits are issued 1-2 business days from application, and after invoice payment.
- Paper Permit Applications:
- Email your permit application and all applicable supporting documents to email@example.com for processing.
- Once received, staff will do a completeness check for the submitted application.
- After the application has been deemed complete, you will receive an invoice for the fees due via email and staff will schedule a time with you to submit hard copies of your application documents at City Hall.
- Please see Public Assistance Memo 003 and Public Assistance Memo 004 for more in-depth directions regarding how to submit permit applications and revisions or corrections.
Please contact the permit desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 248-8260.
Permit Applications and Submittal Checklists
Building Services is responsible for plan review and inspection of new buildings, additions, and remodels. The City of Normandy Park as adopted the following construction codes and standards:
- 2018 International Building Code (IBC) – WAC 51-50
- 2018 International Residential Code (IRC) – WAC 51-51
- 2018 International Mechanical Code (IMC) – WAC 51-52
- 2018 NFPA 54, National Fuel Gas Code (NFGC) – WAC 51-52
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC) – WAC 51-52
- 2018 International Fire Code (IFC) – WAC 51-54A
- 2018 Uniform Plumbing Code & Standards (UPC) – WAC 51-56
- 2018 Washington State Energy Code (WSEC) – WAC 51-11(C&R)
- Normandy Park Electrical Code (WCEC) – NPMC 14.10.140
Land Use & Planning
Community Development is responsible for the review of Land Use action applications, Fill & Grade applications, Sign permits, Conditional Use Exceptions, Temporary Use, and Variances.
- Affidavit of Posting
- City Street Vacation Application
- Comprehensive Plan Amendment Application
- Conditional Use Permit
- Critical Areas Reasonable Use Exception Application
- Environmental Checklist (SEPA)
- Exemption-Shoreline Substantial Development Permit
- Flood Damage Prevention Single Family Residence Submittal Checklist
- Flood Plain Development Permit Application
- Formal Subdivision Application
- Home Occupation Type II Permit Application
- Informal Subdivision Application
- Joint Aquatic Resources Permit Application (JARPA)
- Lot Line Adjustment Application
- Master Land Use Application
- Minor Use Activities – Critical Areas NPMC 18.36
- Mixed Use Development Application
- Pre-Application Conference Application
- Outdoor Seating
- Shoreline Substantial Development Application
- Sign Permit Application
- Temporary Use Permit Application
- Zoning Variance Application
Other Permit Applications and Forms
- Appointment Request Forms
- Bond Quantity Estimate Worksheet
- Certification and Transfer of Applicant Status
- City Right-of-Way Franchise Application
- City Right-of-Way Permit Application
- City Small Cell Franchise Application
- Small Project Drainage Plan Submittal Application
- Small Site Drainage Manual
- Land Clearing, Grading, or Filling Permit Application
- Land Clearing, Grading, or Filling Project Checklist
Public Assistance Memos (PAMs)
- PAM #001: Detached Accessory Structures And Guest Houses
- PAM #002: Right-of-Way Use
- PAM #003: Submitting Permit Applications
- PAM #004: Submitting Permit Application Revisions or Corrections
- PAM #005: Extending, Renewing, or Reestablishing a Permit
- PAM #006: Short-Term Rentals
- PAM #007: Tree Removal
- PAM #008: Temporary Signs
- PAM #009: Do I Need A Permit?
- PAM #010: Solar Photo-Voltaic Installations
- PAM #011: Fences
Nicholas Matz, AICP
Community Development Director
Assistant Planner/Permit Technician
appointments (206) 248-8260
inspections (206) 248-5525
Please call (206) 248-5525 to request an inspection. Same-day inspection requests must be made before 7:00 am.
How long are permits valid
Building Permits are valid for 2 years from the date of issuance. Please contact the Permit Center to check your expiration date for Land Use or Planning Permits.
How is the Gross Floor Area Ratio (GFAR) of my property calculated
GFAR is calculated based on the sum of the floor areas of all floors of the principal use building(s) and all accessory buildings divided by the total area of the zoning lot.
In residential zones, floor area includes the floor area within accessory buildings and excludes:
- the floor area within breezeways;
- uninhabitable attic space;
- basements that do not daylight; and
- up to 600 square feet of garage space.
In the NC and MU zones, floor area excludes:
- floor area devoted to parking;
- elevators, staircases, escalators, and mechanical spaces;
- exterior decks, porches, and arcades open to the air; and
- floor area devoted to public amenities.
What are the required front, rear, and side yard setbacks for my property
Setbacks in residential zones are as follows:
Front Yard = 20ft
Back Yard = 25ft
Side Yard = 5ft
Side Yard when adjacent to street or public Right-of-Way = 20ft
How do I renew or extend my permit
Submit a written request and pay additional fees once the request has been approved by the Building Official.
Do I need a permit to build a shed
A permit is not required if the shed is under 200sf.