Select Page


The City of Normandy Park’s Permit Center is remotely open to serve those functions that are consistent with Governor Jay Inslee’s “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” order. Staff is complying with the order by working from home and responding to questions via email between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm each day.


Inspections will be performed for those functions that are consistent with the governor’s “Safe Start Washington” order. Please call to request an inspection. Same-day inspection requests must be made before 7:00 am.

Online Resources for Permits

In accordance with Governor Inslee’s “Safe Start Washington” order, the Normandy Park City Hall is currently closed to the public.

We respectfully request permit applicants submit their applications by doing the following:

  • Email your permit application and all applicable supporting documents to
  • Once received, staff will do a completeness check for the submitted application. After the application has been deemed complete, you will receive an invoice for the fees due via email.
  • If you are submitting an over-the-counter permit (OTC permit), your permit and invoice will be emailed to you after payment has been received.
  • If you are submitting a non-OTC permit, staff will schedule a time for you to drop-off hard copies of your submittal materials and payment at City Hall.
  • Please note that appointments are required for application and document submittal.

In lieu of an online payment system, the City will accept payments via mail or the City Hall drop box located at the front entry of City Hall.


For general permitting and/or zoning questions, please contact Ashleigh Williams.

For Land Use questions, please contact Holly Keeton.


Permit Applications and Submittal Checklists 

Building Permits

Building Services is responsible for plan review and inspection of new buildings, additions, and remodels.  The City of Normandy Park as adopted the following construction codes and standards:

  • 2015 International Building Code (IBC) – WAC 51-50
  • 2015 International Residential Code (IRC) – WAC 51-51
  • 2015 International Mechanical Code (IMC) – WAC 51-52
  • 2015 NFPA 54, National Fuel Gas Code (NFGC) – WAC 51-52
  • 2015 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC) – WAC 51-52
  • 2015 International Fire Code (IFC) – WAC 51-54A
  • 2015 Uniform Plumbing Code & Standards (UPC) – WAC 51-56
  • 2015 Washington State Energy Code (WSEC) – WAC 51-11(C&R)
  • Normandy Park Electrical Code (WCEC) – NPMC 14.10.140


Holly Keeton
Community Development Director
(206) 248-8253

Ashleigh Williams
Assistant Planner
(206) 248-8260

Permit Center
appointments (206) 248-8260
inspections (206) 248-5525

Common Questions

How long are permits valid

Building Permits are valid for 2 years from the date of issuance. Please contact the Permit Center to check your expiration date for Land Use or Planning Permits.


How is the Gross Floor Area Ratio (GFAR) of my property calculated

GFAR is calculated based on the sum of the floor areas of all floors of the principal use building(s) and all accessory buildings divided by the total area of the zoning lot.

In residential zones, floor area includes the floor area within accessory buildings and excludes:

  • the floor area within breezeways;
  • uninhabitable attic space;
  • basements that do not daylight; and
  • up to 600 square feet of garage space.

In the NC and MU zones, floor area excludes:

  • floor area devoted to parking;
  • elevators, staircases, escalators, and mechanical spaces;
  • exterior decks, porches, and arcades open to the air; and
  • floor area devoted to public amenities.
What are the required front, rear, and side yard setbacks for my property

Setbacks in residential zones are as follows:

Front Yard = 20ft

Back Yard = 25ft

Side Yard = 5ft

Side Yard when adjacent to street or public Right-of-Way = 20ft

Are short term/vacation rentals allowed

No, residential rentals in Normandy Park must have a six-month lease at minimum. Per NPMC18.32.033, “The guest house shall not, in any instance, be used for rental purposes or be sold as a primary residence.”

Please see code sections below for more detail or contact the Permit Center:

Transient means an individual residing in a dwelling unit in conjunction with other members of the household for an indefinite period of time less than six months and who pays the other household member(s) rent or other valuable consideration in order to reside at the location. Any individual residing in a dwelling unit for less than six months and in all events on less than a month-to-month basis shall be considered a transient. Guests and exchange students complying with NPMC 18.32.021 shall not be considered to be transients”

“Household” means one or more persons related by blood, marriage, or adoption, or not more than three unrelated persons, living together within a single dwelling unit. For the purposes of this definition, children with familial status within the meaning of 42 U.S.C. 3602(k) and individuals with disabilities within the meaning of 42 U.S.C. 3602(h) shall not be counted as unrelated persons. The following inclusions and exclusions shall apply:

(1) “Adult family homes” as defined by RCW 70.128.010 are included within the definition of “household.”

(2) The term “household” shall exclude individuals or groups residing in halfway houses, crisis residential centers as defined in RCW 74.15.020(3)(g), group homes licensed for juvenile offenders or other facilities, whether or not licensed by the state, when the individual or group residing therein is incarcerated or otherwise required to reside at the facility pursuant to a court order under the supervision of paid staff and personnel.

(3) A qualifying “household” shall not include transients.

(4) In the event the referenced state or federal law is amended, such amendment shall control.

“The primary permitted uses of the R-20, R-15, R-12.5 and R-72 zones are: 

Single-family residence buildings to be occupied by one household each;…”

How do I renew or extend my permit

Submit a written request and pay additional fees once the request has been approved by the Building Official.


Do I need a permit to build a shed

A permit is not required if the shed is under 200sf.